Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Tales Of Beedle The Bard by J. K. Rowling


The Tales of Beedle The Bard contains five richly diverse fairy tales, each with its own magical character, that will variously bring delight, laughter and the thrill of mortal peril.


Additional notes for each story penned by Professor Albus Dumbledore will be enjoyed by Muggles and wizards alike, as the Professor muses on the morals illuminated by the tales, and reveals snippets of information about life at Hogwarts.


A uniquely magical volume, with illustrations by the author, J. K. Rowling, that will be treasured for years to come.



I’ve just finished this collection of wizarding fairy tales, and I must say this Muggle was quite entertained by them. I shall not elaborate on each of the tales (there are five) as there is already a great review written by Ann-Kat, so I’m taking the lazy expedient way by referring you to it.


I’m an unabashed fan of fairy tales. And I liked this collection very much. Each of the story, accompanied by the author’s illustrations, certainly exudes the fairy tale tone and feel. This is my favourite illustration, from my favourite story, The Fountain Of Fair Fortune. (Click on image for larger view.)


I’ve enjoyed Dumbledore’s notes at the end of each story too. They brought back fond memories of the remarkable late headmaster of Hogwarts.


4 out of 5. I liked it. It’s compelling, a page-turner.


5 comments:

Christine said...

Oh! This is great! I'm so glad you liked this so much and I'm an unabashed fan of fairy tales, too!

My daughter is reading this book now, so maybe I'll read it for my YA Challenge next week! I'm excited about it now. Thanks, Jace! =)

Brandy said...

Daughter read this and enjoyed it. She, too, liked the notes by Dumbledore.

Jace said...

Christine: I hope you'll enjoy this one as much as I did. :)

Brandy: You have no plans to read this? ;)

Brandy said...

I read the first (and last) Harry Potter book, both out of curiousity. But, they're just not my thing, so I skipped this.

Ariel Koh said...

heyy,ais this book available in malaysia??