Monday, November 24, 2008

Dark Lies by Vivi Anna


Category: Romance – Paranormal
Series: Yes – Book 2 of The Valorian Chronicles


What dark secret was she hiding?

When the Otherworld Crime Unit reconvenes to investigate a ritualistic murder, werewolf Jace Jericho can barely set aside his past – and his hatred of humanity – to work with the team’s newest member. As far as Jace is concerned, police rookie Tala Channing has two strikes against her: one, she’s human, and two, something about her drives him wild with desire…

Forced to work side by side with Tala, deep into the witching hours, Jace struggles to keep his primal instincts in check. But when they finally succumb to wild passion, Jace realizes Tala has spun a web of lies. And Tala’s secret now puts his life – and heart – on the line…



After reading the 1st book, Blood Secrets, and having enjoyed it quite a bit, Kat, Mel and I immediately moved on to its sequel. Our discussion is as follows.


Jace: Ok, first of all, I’ve enjoyed this story much more than Book 1. If Caine was the star attraction and I didn’t quite like Eve in the previous book, I had absolutely no problem liking and connecting with BOTH Jace and Tala. They were a COUPLE … fantastic chemistry and totally in sync with each other. No one outshone the other.

Mel: You know, I wasn't crazy about Jace in the 1st book but really fell for him in this one. I thought him and Tala had wonderful chemistry.

Kat: I didn't like Jace very much either in the previous book, but he made me curious enough to read his book. I also wanted to know how the storyline continued. That means Vivi Anna did a really good job with the start of her series, although the 1st book wasn’t brilliant. In this book, I came to like Jace very much. I also thought that Tala was the perfect match for him; there was so much chemistry between them.

Jace: Jace was a fantastic and vivid hero. His “wildness” and unabashed sensuality were so much a part of him, and the fact that he was so TOTALLY at ease with that primal side of him, made him very attractive. His rebellious and devil-may-care attitude also fit in with his persona. I really loved that he was single-minded in pursuing Tala. When he found out what she really was, he just wanted to help and guide her, and treasure her as his own.

Mel: I thought he was a worthy hero. You're right … he had no problems with his animal side and I love how he pursued Tala. I love a man who knows what he wants and goes for it.

Kat: I pretty much second everything you both said about Jace. He turned out to be a really good hero. Although his childhood was tragic, he found his self-worth. He understood Tala's reluctance to accept her true nature and acted very kind. He was strong and mature enough to show his own vulnerability to her and he didn't run out on her, although she rejected him harshly.

Jace: I liked Tala. I suspected earlier on that she wasn’t entirely human and I really wanted to know her story. The pain she suffered when she put on the eye drops was heart-wrenching. Her spartan and lonely existence – eating cold take0ut meals and stale pizzas – really yanked at my heartstrings. Her smart way of working also scored lots of brownie points. I was truly happy for her when Jace persistently pursued her.

Mel: I knew there was something different about her and figured out what she was. I felt so badly for her with those eye drops. She fought so hard in accepting who she really was. It was really nice when she and Jace came together and she was able to be who she was supposed to be.

Kat: I also suspected from the beginning that Tala was not human. My heart broke when she was using the eye drops. She felt like a stranger in her world. I could have smacked her dumb mother for torturing her with the constant reminders that she was not normal. It was nice to see her growing into her own nature. She and Jace were made for each other.

Jace: Oh man, that webcam/computer scene … did that scorch the pages or what?! LOL That Jace was totally in control and so unabashed, and what he did just fit in with what he is. Usually, I find this kind of scene a bit icky and tawdry, but this one felt right.

Mel: I wasn't expecting that but woohoo … that was hot!

Kat: That scene was really hot. One could feel the chemistry and sparks between Jace and Tala.

Jace: The crime was more of the same as Book 1, but we saw and knew more about the villain, didn’t we? It’d be interesting to see who he/she really is.

Mel: I really like how each of the books build on the previous one.

Kat: I liked it too how the books are building on each other WITHOUT being complicated. I didn't have the feeling that the author stretched the plot just to fill the book. She gave it a new twist and I'm curious as to who will finally turn out as the villain. At this point, I don't have a clue.

Jace: That Mistress Jannali was creepy, wasn’t she? I’m quite sure there is more to her than that politically-ambitious façade she maintained.

Mel: She totally eeeks me out. There's something really off about her.

Kat: This creature gave me the creeps.

Jace: It was great that Caine had many scenes in this book and his charisma was potent in each one. I suppose he will appear in all the remaining books since he’s the Chief of the Otherworld CSU. He’s such a wise leader.

Mel: It was nice to see Caine again. He and Eve are in the third book as well. (Note: Mel and Kat had already read Book 3 at this point.)

Kat: I liked seeing more of sexy Caine and Eve too. The team felt like a “family” already.

Jace: I found Lyra’s conversations with her ghostly grandmother really funny. It will be interesting to see who her love interest will be. I’ll be following your discussion on Lyra’s book. If both of you like it, I’ll consider reading it too.

Mel: I fell for Lyra's hero too. He was so sexy.

Kat: Lyra turned out to be a good heroine, but I had problems with Theron in the beginning of their story.

Jace: My rating for Jace’s book is 4 out of 5. I like it. This is a fast-paced, compelling page-turner featuring a well-matched and likeable couple. Sensuality: Warm+

Mel: I'm giving this book 4/Warm.

Kat: My rating for Jace's book is 4 /Warm+ too.


6 comments:

Brie said...

Sounds like a great book. I haven't read any Nocturnal's and I've been wanting to try the line. I'll have to keep an eye out for this author. Thanks for the review, ladies!

Brie said...

Nocturnal should be Nocturne. :p

Jace said...

Hey Brie, I haven't read many Nocturnes but Kat and Mel had. According to them, most of those were not so good ... so far, Vivi Anna's series were the best. If you want to try the Nocturne line, these are good ones to try. :-)

Brandy said...

I've been worried the Nocturnals will be too dark for me (pardon the pun). But, you are definitely getting me interested!

Melanie said...

Great review J! This is a really good series and I hope she continues with them.

Jace said...

Brandy: If you like paranormals, then this series is a nice read. It's not too dark ... for paranormal standards. ;-)

Mel: Thanks, M. ;-) I can't wait to read Lyra's story. :-D I hope Vivi Anna will write that crazy Kellen's story some day too.