Thursday, October 16, 2008

Crochet and Me

I reunited with an old love recently. Crochet and I first met when I was eleven or twelve years old … and believe me, that was aeons ago. For a few years, we were inseparable. Then life got in the way, a new love wormed its way in, and we regretfully parted company.

But I’ve never forgotten that girlhood love. No, one does not so easily discard such sweet memories.

I caught sight of my old love a few days ago – it was an absolute delight to get reacquainted! The passion was quickly rekindled, which, tempered by maturity and experience, is deeper and far more steadfast this time around.

Look at what a few days of rekindled passion has achieved.



These are beaded book thongs. Very quick and simple to make.



I call this one Blossom. The colour combination that can go on this one is simply endless. Already I’m thinking of some way-out colours that I’m dying to experiment.



This is Sweet Heart. I made this for a very sweet young lady, Mel’s daughter.



This is Lacy Flower, for want of a better name. This one is a personal triumph – it was the most complicated one to make and the beaded end gave me quite a bit of trouble, but it’s all worth it in the end. The next one I make will feature dual-coloured petals. *grin* Even more challenging. I’m looking forward to it. LOL


17 comments:

Katiebabs said...

You are so crafty!! These are great.

Brandy said...

Awww, they're so pretty. You are so multi-talented. I'm jealous! *G*

bianca said...

Once again you've amazed me with your craftiness! I just have one question - if you're in a reading slump, where are all these bookmarks being used ;-)

Phyl said...

You've become so crafty lately. Does this mean you'll take up quilting next? :-)
Very pretty, btw.

Jace said...

Katie: Hey, thanks for dropping by. :-)

Brandy: You're too kind. I'm glad you like them. :-)

Bianca: Good question! LOL I give them away. :-D I hardly keep any that I make - these and the origami ones.

Phyl: I DARE NOT attempt quilting - I'm totally afraid of the sewing machine! *shivers* I'm using this reading lull to maximize my craftiness. LOL

violetcrush said...

wow, you made these? they are simply beautiful.

Jace said...

Hi Violet ... Welcome! And thanks! :-D

Carolyn Jean said...

I love lacy flower and blossom. It's also sort of fun to see the pages underneath your designs and guess what you're reading there.

Kristie (J) said...

Those are adorable!! I'm a crocheter too although I haven't done it for a while. Did you follow a pattern or make up your own?

nath said...

Wow!! You're onto something, Jace :P I liked the Blossom best!!

Jace said...

CJ: You're another who likes Blossom! This one seems to be the most popular. :-D Oh, the book is my son's. LOL It's Warrior Cats by Erin Hunter, and I just grabbed it as it was the nearest hardcover at that time. LOL Hardcovers open nicely and completely so they're the easiest to photograph. :-)

Kristie: Hey, another crocheter! :-D I'm sure you can resume crocheting without any problem at all (when you want to) as you'd never truly forget how to. :-) I followed patterns but I also tweaked certain areas. Take for instance Lacy Flower - the pattern was just for the flower, but I added the thong + the beaded end. :-)

Nath: LOL Another Blossom fan! You've just put an idea in my head (which is stuffed almost full already!) LOL

Jill D. said...

Jace, I love your book thongs! They are very nice. I haven't crocheted in ages. I would have never thought to make book marks. What a great idea!

Totally off subject - but do you update your yahoo avitar everyday? Does that take a lot of time?

Jace said...

Hi Jill ... Thanks! The bookmarks are fun to do and they don't take as much time as, say, cross-stitch. ;-)

The avatar - I change it once a week. ;-) It's very easy to do. Once I install the avatar code here (blog), the avatar will automatically update every time I change something at Yahoo Avatars site. It's been working great so far. :-)

Amy said...

Now, see, I can't sew even a button on, but now I want to learn how to crochet, or even cross-stitch. Heck, I'll be grateful if even somebody would teach me how to use a glue-gun! Yes, I'm that craft-deficient!

So wish me luck this weekend when I tackle my first knot blanket I'm making for a co-worker's baby shower...

Jace said...

Hey Amy. :-D Good luck with the knot blanket. Do show us a pic when you're done. I didn't know what a knot blanket is, so I googled it and it looks great. :-D You're doing a fleece one, right?

If you want to learn to crochet, there are lots of YouTube tutorials. Crochet is quite simple really, and easy to learn. What I like about it is how quickly a project gets done. :-)

Raonaid Luckwell said...

The lacey flower, that puts me in mind of the roses (I called them pop up roses) my grandmother use to crochet with blankets, pillows, etc.

Always loved them.

Jace said...

Hey Raonaid, thanks for dropping by. Yes, you're right - the flower looks like a pop-up rose. :-D