Thursday, September 18, 2008

Netflix Origami

click on image to go to site


Ok, the first thing that caught my eye was “origami”. *wink* But what is Netflix? I scoured around and found this info. All right then…

So I moseyed over to the site and I was quite tickled by the thought that someone took the trouble to come up with this idea of recycling the Netflix tear-off flaps into origami objects – some of which are really useful too.

What I appreciate the most, though, is that you can start folding with the rectangle flaps, no cutting involved. With origami, usually you need to start with a perfect square. These tutorials adjust the rectangles (into squares) and the end results are pretty cool. *grin*

I didn’t have any Netflix flaps so I used pages from a magazine. I made the box and the envelope. The box was a bit tricky but with a little patience, I managed it on the first try. The envelope was easy-peasy.

Go ahead … give origami a try!



10 comments:

Carolyn Jean said...

This is cute. We get netflix, and have tons of these. You want some? Maybe I'll make some of these. In all my spare time! *g*

Janicu said...

oo, I am always too lazy to throw those, so I have a small pile to make things with. Just made a heart.. it's cute!

Jace said...

CJ: When you see netflix, remember they're good for something else other than the recycling bin. :-D

Jan: There other ways to make a heart ... the netflix method is simple and straight foward so it's great. :-D Happy origami-ing. :-D

kat said...

J,
thanks for the link, it's great. since I'm bored to hell at the clinic already, I tried some of the figures with magazine paper. mine aren't perfect, but at least it's identifiable, what I intended to fold! LOL

Jace said...

K, I'm glad you have something new to distract you. :-D Practice makes perfect, and soon you'll be a pro at this. :-D

Brandy said...

Ooh, this looks like a fun thing to try with my kids. Thanks!

Melanie said...

What a cute idea and a good way to recycle those netflix wraps. I usually toss mine in with the recycling.

Jace said...

Brandy: Enjoy! :-)

Mel: What you can do is to make a stack of the "tray" and/or "sack" - keep them folded, to be used later. I have a stash of "tray" made from magazine pages - they're useful to hold all sorts of things, like the bits of clipped thread when I'm cross-stitching, or the discarded bits of paper when I'm papercrafting. ;-)

Christine said...

LOL omg that is so creative! I may have to save the next Netflix flap just to try this!

Jace said...

It's amazing how creative some people are, isn't it? :-D If you don't have any netflix flaps, magazine pages work fine too ... in fact, any rectangle paper will do. :-)