Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mid-Autumn Festival

Today, the Chinese celebrate the annual Mid-Autumn Festival, which is also known as the Mooncake Festival here in Malaysia. It falls on the 15th day of the 8th month on the Chinese Lunar calendar – which is 14 September for 2008 on the Western calendar.

This article gives an overview on this festival, complete with some photos.

This is a special time of the year. The moon is full and bright; it entices the young and old alike to come out and make merry. Children light their lanterns, parading up and down, brightening the night with a kaleidoscope of colours. (See … it even got me waxing lyrical about it!)

Anyways …

I started buying boxes of the yummy mooncakes about three weeks ago. It’s a tradition to give them to my parents and mother-in-law. Of course, I got some for my family, but hubby and son aren’t particularly mad about them. Mooncakes aside, what really gets my eyes all sparkly-like are the boxes that they come in.

This is the box that my mooncakes came in this year …





Doesn’t it look gorgeous? The flap is magnetic too, so the box closes securely.

I started collecting the boxes four years ago. Every year, it’s a different design. I use them to store my origami papers, my cross-stitch bits and bobs, my bookmark collection … well, you get the idea.

Usually, the boxes are square, but one year, I got this, which is rather unique …


So for me, the Mid-Autumn Festival is as much about family, merry making and mooncakes as it is about the lovely boxes!



8 comments:

Christine said...

Have a bright and happy moon festival, Jace! I love mooncakes!

Those boxes are indeed beautiful. I'd save them and put them to good use, too.

Enjoy! =)

Brandy said...

I've never had a mooncake, but the Festival sounds lovely! And the boxes are very pretty, I can see why you are collecting them! I hope you and yours enjoyed the Festival!

Jace said...

Christine: Mooncakes come in so many varieties now that just boggles the mind. But I look forward to them every year. ;-D

Brandy: Oh, I wish I could share some of the mooncakes with you!

Melanie said...

J, Have a happy festival and those boxes are lovely. I would want to keep them too. I've developed a fondness for mooncakes and look forward to them for Chinese New year.

Frances said...

Hi Jace! Happy Moon Festival! Love the link. I first encountered the Moon Festival 35 yrs. ago when living in Honolulu. The cakes are so pretty, and the lanterns are even better. Can't tell I like colorful stuff, huh?

Jace said...

Mel: I don't know if you'd get many varieties of mooncakes in the US? Over here, you can get them in almost any flavour. :-D They even make the paste in chocolate + coffee flavour. Haagen-Daz makes ice-cream ones every year ... just plain yummy! :-D

Frances: Thanks for stopping by! :-D Colourful stuff are good!!! They appeal to your artistic eye, eh? ;-)

Melanie said...

J, I've only ever had them in one flavor here. I don't know what the flavor is but it's tasty. Chocolate + Coffee sounds heavenly!

Jace said...

Mel, I think the flavour you meant is the original and most traditional one - the lotus paste. They come with or without egg yolk - I prefer without. :-D

I tell you, the crazy Malaysian mooncake makers come up with the most bizarre and unusual flavours ever! Do you know dragonfruits? We have those mooncakes as well, but they are more gimmicky than anything else. I suspect most people prefer the traditional ones. :-)