Monday, August 11, 2008

Your Planet Or Mine by Susan Grant

Category: Sci-Fi Romance
Series: Yes, Book 1


With outrageously false accusations piling up against her famous political family and an ex-fiancĂ© in hot water determined to take her down with him, the last thing Jana Jasper needs is more trouble – especially man trouble. But when she heads to the grocery store for an ice cream fix, not only does the muscled hunk in the frozen foods section ranting about spaceships and invasions look crazy, he looks … familiar.

Cavin of Far Star has never forgotten the girl he met during his weeks spent on that quaint little world, planet Earth, the girl who didn’t believe he was real. And now he’ll risk his future to save her. All she has to do is take him to her leader. Simple enough plan – although Jana isn’t so easily convinced. Hell-bent on charming his way past her defenses, he’s determined to stay one step ahead of the galaxy’s most feared assassin – and many just capture his favorite Earthling’s heart in the process.



The premise of the story is basically boy meets girl, boy leaves girl, boy comes back after twenty-three years, and after clearing some major hurdles, they live happily-ever-after. Only, the boy in this case is an alien.

Cavin and Jana’s childhood friendship is sweet and touching. I liked this aspect of the story very much. When he comes back to her as an adult, their love story is also sweet and touching, but with an added element – their chemistry – which sizzles across the pages. I enjoyed their relearning about each other and the blossoming of their love which happens quickly under very stressful and dangerous conditions. Their love and friendship, both as children and adults, melts my heart.

Between Cavin and Jana, I thought Cavin is the more vivid character – certainly the one I liked more. He is a beta hero who is strong both emotionally and physically, yet vulnerable when it comes to Jana. The author succeeded brilliantly in crafting this realistic and emotive character, who with just one word, “Squee” (his childhood nickname for Jana) conveys all his love and longing for her. Cavin is a trademark Susan Grant beta-hero.

Jana, too, is an emotive and likeable character. There are many things to like about her - her great compassion, her love and loyalty towards Cavin, family and friends, her drive to achieve her ambitions, her wanting to always do the right things. However, her sense of humour sometimes feels "off" and almost slap-sticky and this bothered me quite a bit.

This book started off so well, but when I reached the mid-way point – Chapter 13 – I stopped reading and just skipped to the end. Here are the reasons:

1. I was tired of reading about Jana's family members, their political aspiration and their various problems. I wanted to read about Cavin and Jana, but in order to do that, I had to wade through all the family drama, which was extremely tedious.

2. I didn't want to know in such great detail the REEF assassin’s side of the story. I wanted Cavin and Jana’s story, and this subplot, too, got in the way.

Kat, Mel and I were supposed to read this book together. This is what Mel had to say:

"Your viewpoints pretty much mirror my issues with the story right now. I like Cavin and think he's dreamy, but I couldn’t care less about Jana. I'm giving up on this book for the time being. I'm reading Chapter 6 and it's still not grabbing my attention."

Kat passed up on this one once she heard our early opinion.

There are many good things to like about this story, yet, the sheer number of characters and subplots distract the focus from the main characters and their story so much that it becomes quite an exasperating read, really.



My rating: 3 out of 5

I’m ambivalent about it. It’s all right, an average read.


2 comments:

Frances said...

Hi Jace,
Your review of YOUR PLANET hits on the very things that I liked and didn't quite like so much. Very good. I thought that EXTRA TERRESTERIAL and MOONSTRUCK were better books. However, CONTACT holds a special place for me. Looking forward to see what Su does in the future.

Frances

Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future
http://frances-writes.blogspot.com/

Jace said...

Thanks, Frances. :-)

I can't wait to read the follow-up story to Moonstruck, but I don't think I'll read the rest of the Your Planet series.