Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Contact by Susan Grant


Category: Sci-Fi Romance
Series: No


A beautiful co-pilot with a terrible choice … Jordan Cady.

A dark stranger who has known nothing but duty … Kào Vantaar-Moray.

A late-night flight, hijacked over the Pacific … 290 people taken onboard an alien starcruiser, and told that the Earth is destroyed.

This is a tale of intrigue and passion where an airline pilot on a trans-Pacific flight finds her 747 hijacked by a UFO and a mysterious member of their crew is the only one she can trust.


SPOILERS ALERT!


An overview…

Kat: I had a hard time with the starting part of the story. I struggled through it, but I remembered that I had the same problem with Star King. The first 100 pages were a bit boring and didn’t really grab me. Then it happened … Jordan and Kào's relationship began to develop and I was glued to the pages.

Mel: I had the same problem with the slow start but once the pace picked up, I could hardly put the book down. I liked how they tried to defend their place once they were on the ship. I liked how Jordan and Kào slowly trusted and fell in love with each other. The story itself was very touching.

Jace: That was my problem with this story - the pacing. It was sedate. The especially boring parts were those dealing with the passengers, after they were onboard the alien battleship. That was why I kept hoping for space action ... you know, starfighters chasing after each other with weapons blasting away?


The characters…

Kat: Grant has such a talent to create "real" people with believable struggles and emotions. I could feel their feelings growing for each other and I loved it that Kào didn't back down and stood up for his feelings for Jordan. I usually don't like beta-heroes that much, but Grant's betas are just amazing. These are guys I'd really want for myself in my real life.

Jace: I agree - Grant's characters are well-developed and believable. I thought that their love story progressed nicely and was sweet. I also liked that Jordan was older than Kào in years, but he was matured (beyond his age) in his thinking. I, too, don't care for beta heroes, but Kào was such a sympathetic and well-developed character that I felt a lot for him.

Kat: Jordan was a likeable heroine and she matched Kào quite well. They both felt like very normal people and I learnt to appreciate that in Grant's books. When the story finally picked up, it turned out very touching and good.

Mel: They did make a great couple. I was very impressed by the romance aspect of the story.

Jace: I, too, felt that Jordan was a likeable character - a normal woman. However, I thought she was too good when dealing with the whiney and difficult passengers, as she never truly lost her temper. This was unrealistic, considering the difficult and scary circumstances.


The plot…

Kat: The mean villain was perverted to the core. I could have cried for Kào, when he discovered who he was. Trist was interesting, although I had problems imagining her. She would make an interesting heroine in a future book.

Mel: I thought the villain was awful and he deserved what he got. How cruel to let those people think Earth had been destroyed. He had everyone believing he was this great person, when in fact he was nothing more than a slave trader.

Jace: I felt very bad for Kào because he had lived under his father's manipulation for a long time. I liked how Grant characterized Trist. She was so believably sly and mysterious that I kept wondering right till the last minute whether she was good or evil.

I also liked the premise of the Seeders - the Original Ones who sowed their human DNAs across the galaxy - hence all races, no matter how different their characteristics were, belong to the same species. I thought this was something different.

I liked the mystery surrounding the whole hijacking, who Trist was and what was her motivation, and how the villain tied in with the Talagars.



The conclusion and rating…

Kat: I didn't like the book as much as Star King, mainly because of the slow start, so I'd rate it a weak 4/Warm.

Mel: My rating 4/Warm.

Jace: I liked this story a bit more than Star King, maybe because it provided a little more adrenaline rush? I also thought that its plot was a bit more intricate and expansive than Star King. I rate this 4.5 out of 5. I really like it. It's fantastic - a keeper. Sensuality: Warm


4 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I'm glad you all liked this one. I did too! I remember when it first came out Walmart refused to stock it because the plane disappeared and it wasn't that long after 9-11. Real stupid reason if you ask me!

Jace said...

Kristie, I read about the boycott of the book due to 9-11 at AAR. I guess a lot of people thought the subject matter was too raw to read about at that time. I'm glad that the book's still easily available now, because it's a darn good book. :)

I can't wait to read Moonstruck ... you know ... the one you were so passionate about. LOL

Kristie (J) said...

:)
I can't wait for you to read Moonstruck either. And if you like it even half as much as I did, the pressure will be off.

Jace said...

No pressure, Kristie. :) I bought the book of my own volition, after I read all the positive reviews. :) I'm quite sure it's something I will enjoy. Thanks for recommending it.