Thursday, May 15, 2008

Midnight Rising (Book 4) by Lara Adrian

In a world of shadows and dark, consuming hungers, desire is the deadliest weapon…

Fueled by pain and rage over a shattering betrayal, the warrior Rio has pledged his life to the war against the Rogues. He will let nothing stand in his way – least of all a mortal woman with the power to expose the entire vampire race. But now an ancient evil has been awakened, and a stunning darkness is on the rise.

For journalist Dylan Alexander, it began with the discovery of a hidden tomb. Suddenly she is at the center of a gathering storm of violence and secrets. But nothing is as dangerous as the scarred, lethally seductive man who rises from the shadows to plunge her into his world of dark desire and endless night. Here she is powerless to resist Rio’s touch, even as she uncovers a shocking link to her own past. Now Dylan must choose: leave Rio’s midnight realm, or risk it all for the man who has shown her true passion and the infinite pleasure of the heart…


This is the latest installment of the Midnight Breed series, and yes, I’d advise those who want to try this series to start from Book 1, Kiss Of Midnight. Book 2 is Kiss Of Crimson, followed by Midnight Awakening.

My overall impression of this story: fast-paced and exciting, but without much depth.

This story continues from the last book where the Breed warrior, Rio, stays back in Prague to seal up a cave tomb, for it is imperative that no one else knows of its existence. However, it is five months later when he finally stirs himself to do the task, but before he can even begin, in stumbles the gung-ho and plucky Dylan. With the finely-honed instincts of a dogged reporter, she quickly deduces that the cave is no ordinary cavern, and just as quickly, she manages to snap some photographs of not only the place, but of Rio as well! She escapes him, with the full intention of publishing her story. Needless to say, Rio has to go after her to do damage control. One thing leads to another, and pair falls in love. While their love story is touching, it lacks the depth that elicits strong feelings from me.

Meanwhile, the warriors’ arch-enemy is up to no good. He has started on his covert plan of dominion. The means of achieving his goal is ghastly, brutal and totally without mercy. I was appalled by those scenes. It is this story arc that I found the most interesting about the whole story.

I thought that the lead characters, the damaged Rio and the pragmatic Dylan, were a little under-developed and they felt superficial. Rio had suffered so much due to betrayal (in the previous book), and I felt that the speed in which he trusts Dylan enough to fall for her is astonishing. Dylan is an average heroine. She does everything right, but somehow she is not outstanding or memorable.

I felt that too much of the book is taken up by explanation – of the Breed world, the characters and the events that happened in the previous books. For a reader who had read the previous books, these explanations are repetitive and tiresome. I couldn’t help but feel that they take up precious space that should have been used to develop the plot and the lead characters a bit more.

The next book is about Nikolai, Rio’s best friend and fellow warrior. I’m not enthusiastic about his story, even after reading the excerpt, mainly because he has so far been just a shadowy and bland character. But I suppose I will still read it for the baddie's secret "weapon", which is a compelling reason to stay with the series, at least for now.



My rating3.5
Sensuality ratingWarm +


4 comments:

Jill D. said...

I have decided to give up on this series and I won't be reading this book. I think that if Adrian would have wrote these books as urban fantasy instead of romance, I might have enjoyed them. For me, the romance was the weakest part of her books and the world building and vampire plots were the strongest parts.

Jace said...

Jill, I know this series didn't work for you. There are so many other paranormal series out there, I'm sure you'll find another that's better suited to your taste. :)

iluvnurds said...

Hi Jace! Glad I finally got around to posting. I finished Rio's book a while ago. I guess you can say I liked it. I don't feel it was her best work. However, it was entertaining. I was afraid she would start going off the story line and branch in too many directions like Ward, but I feel, after reading, she has remained true to the plot. I am looking forward to finding out what happens next with the ancient and Dragos.

Further, I was glad to see that Adrian went into detail on Rio's condition, but I believe the story of his mate was pushed to the side. Like you said Dylan was average, which is sad. I agree that the book had too much detail about the Breed and their history, ect. Also, I think there could have been more focus on Dylan and how she related to Rio, instead of her and her mother's relationship for example. Did you get the sense that Dylan did not connect to anyone really in the book, except for her mother? Don't get me wrong, I liked her mom, but it just did not fit well into the type of genera Adrian was attempting to form. The romance between Rio and Dylan was lacking.

Finally, I feel she threw the ending together at the last minute (meaning Rio rescuing Dylan from danger), but not the ending where Rio realized he had to let go, move on, and start over. To me, that part was well planed and genuine. I hope Niko makes up for the lack of interest in this book.

Now, I just need to find time to read Phury’s book.

Jace said...

Hi, Sarah

Thanks for coming back to post about this book. :-)

You're right - Dylan didn't really connect with anyone besides her mother. Her romance with Rio was sadly ho-hum. I think this was the weakest romance in the series.

I'm not looking forward to Niko's story, to be honest. He just didn't resonate with me. Now ... if only the next book's about Chase Sterling or Andreas Reichen, I'd be jumping for joy. ;-)