Friday, February 1, 2008

Tanner's Scheme by Lora Leigh

A one-time high-ranking member of the Genetics Council, Scheme Tallant’s father will stop at nothing to see the Feline Breeds eradicated. Even if it means killing his own daughter…

After the Breeds’ main base is attacked, Tanner Reynolds desires revenge – and knows just how to get it. In a bold move, he kidnaps Scheme Tallant and takes her deep into the Kentucky mountains. Yet when Tanner discovers that Scheme herself is a target of her father’s ruthless mission, his vengeance must take a backseat to saving the life of the woman he hopes to claim as his mate. But can Scheme trust Tanner – or is she just a pawn of his passion and ploys?


After reading Leigh’s Dangerous Games, I was leery of reading another one of hers. But my reading buddy Kat said that the Breeds series is milder (sensuality) and stirring (emotion), so all right, I gave it a go.

To my relief, this was quite an enjoyable read. Fast-paced, readable, with an intriguing storyline. I finished the book within one-and-a-half days!

The Breeds are genetically-altered humans/animals who were created in the labs of the Genetics Council. They were moulded to be weapons under harsh conditions where their humanity was taken from them. Scheme’s father General Cyrus Tallant wants to get rid of every last one of the Breeds, and he will use any means to do so. He killed his genetics scientist wife who helped the Breeds, and now he orders Scheme to be killed too, for betraying him.

Scheme has been a spy for the Breeds for the last eight years, and the only person who knows this is her contact at the Breeds Sanctuary. She knows that her father murdered her mother, and the atrocious things he had done to the Breeds, so she helps the Breeds foil her father’s evil schemes. However, her father has installed a spy in the Breeds Sanctuary too, and things are quickly coming to a head.

Tanner, a Bengal Breed, has been watching Scheme for the last ten years. He rescues her from her father’s assassin and whisks her away to a secret location, where he tries to pry secrets from her. He of course doesn’t know that she’s a friend of the Breeds, while she suspects he may be her father’s spy. They play the suspicion game for the better part of the story, even when they can’t keep their hands off each other.

They give in to their desire on page 25, and from then on, the sex scenes are explicit and plentiful. What makes these scenes work is Tanner’s pent-up feelings for Scheme – he has been falling in love with her over the period of ten years. It’s this tender element that keeps these scenes from being cold and vulgar.

Tanner and Scheme are well-matched and their love for each other seems believable. Tanner, however, is undoubtedly the star here. His feelings, be it passion, anger or possessiveness, are vividly portrayed. I felt more for him as he is the more sensitive (and sensible) character.

Scheme irritated me with her too-stupid-to-live moments. Also, it was hard to believe that she could silently and doggedly bear the punishment meted out by her father for eight long years without breaking.

Cabal, Tanner’s twin, is the one secondary character who wrenches my heart. I’d love to read his story someday.


My rating4
Sensuality ratingBurning

5 comments:

Brie said...

I have seen this series on amazon, but after reading the reviews I decided not to buy them. Maybe I should.

Jace said...

Brie, I haven't read the other books of this series, so I can't give my opinion on them.

I was quite surprised by this one though, at Tanner's heart-felt emotions that make the explicit sex scenes bearable.

I'm not likely to read another Leigh book, unless it's Cabal's story. *grin* That's a seriously sexy and intriguing dude. Tanner and Cabal remind me of Phury and Z. Twins, one rescued the other from horrific tortures. Each watching the other's back, them against the world.

Jill D. said...

Jace,

I also read this book. I first read Megan's Mark and hated it. I didn't like either of the characters at all. They seemed really mean to each other and their HEA wasn't very believable. Many people really liked the book and are big fans of Leigh.

I did read Tanner's Scheme to give her another try and while I liked it better than Megan's Mark, I still didn't like it enough to persue any more of this series. I don't know, I just think her books aren't for me.

Your right though, Tanner definitely stole the show and Cabal was interesting too. I might be pursuaded to read his story. Leigh has a new book Dawn's Awakening coming out, but I am not sure when.

Jace said...

Oh dear, Jill ... I just bought Megan's Mark!!! My reading buddy Kat has read all of Leigh's books and she recommended this one since I liked Tanner's Scheme. Oh well, I'll just have to read and see, don't I? *grin*

I don't think I'm going to read more of Leigh's books though. She's really not my cup of tea. But I do find the world of the Breeds intriguing, and she's a pretty decent writer (except for those repetitive and sometimes darn funny sex scenes LOL). And since Megan's Mark is the 1st book, I thought I'd find out more about their world from it. *grin*

Jill D. said...

Jace, I hope you have better luck than I did with Megan's Mark. I have heard that a lot of people liked it. I will be curious to hear your thoughs on it.