Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Beast Within by Lisa Renee Jones

Only passion can soothe the beast within…

Known only as Jag, he leads the Knights of White against the soulless Darkland Beasts who took his wife and his life. Jag is immortal, destined to live with the vengeance he feels in his heart and the dreams that haunt his soul. Sensual dreams of a woman. Dreams that threaten to unleash the beast within…

Karen Gibson is an innocent mortal, unwittingly thrown into this millennia-old battle, and – unwillingly – under Jag’s protection. She and Jag are about to discover that they have met before – in the dreams they share.

Neither trusts the other. Neither can survive alone. The secret of those erotic dreams may be all that saves them – if Jag can only accept it. At risk is Karen’s life. And Jag’s immortal soul…



The premise of the story is this – Cain (yes, the one from the Bible) was banished to earth for an eternity for killing Abel. That no-good fellow aligned with the underworld and now rules an army of beasts that steal mortal souls for the underworld. He gets away with his nefarious deeds for a long time, until the good guy Angel Raphael is sent to cramp his style. Angel Raphael assigns his most trusted buddy Salvador to save those souls worthy of serving good against evil. Unfortunately, only men qualify … they are given back their souls and are recruited into becoming one of the Knights Of White.

I found the plot convoluted and flimsy. Convoluted because there are many things going on all at once, but mainly because the writing style doesn’t make it readable. Flimsy because some plot details are far-fetch, even for a paranormal.

Jag, the leader of the Knights is a boring and predictable character. Unfortunately, Karen isn’t much livelier or interesting either. There is a lack of character development. They connect through sex, both in dreams and in reality. They bored me so much that I skimmed most of the book.

The one character who is moderately interesting is the Healer Marisol, and I continued reading the book for her scenes. One of the Knights, Rock, is besotted with her and this couple is more interesting that Jag and Karen.

The rest of the Knights are terribly predictable, both in looks and in personalities. Nobody stands out, I’m afraid.

Salvador is somewhat like a new-age angel-type being. He possesses untold powers, but he doesn’t deem it necessary to provide direct answers to ease poor confused Jag. His vague, riddle-like answers are supposed to drive the plot, I’m sure, but they really got on my nerves. He disappears for most of the story but suddenly appears later to almost single-handedly vanquish the enemies.

This was a difficult story to get into. I skimmed so much that I can’t say how the villain is finally exterminated.


My rating is 2 out of 5. It's problematic - may struggle to finish. Sensuality: Hot


2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

*g* This must have been a very short read indeed as they are smaller than regular books!
Now I'm waiting to see what you think of your current read. I loved it!!

Jace said...

Oh yes, I made real quick work of finishing up the book! LOL I was really relieved to close it for the last time! This is the 2nd Nocturne book that fell short for me and I still have 3 more in the TBR. I'm not looking forward to those anymore, I'm afraid.

As for Games Of Command, I've barely started! With the ongoing Chinese New Year festivities, I haven't had any time to read. I know both you and Katie loved the book, so I am eager to read it. Sinclair is a new author for me, so if I like it, I'll get Gabriel's Ghost next. *grin*