Thursday, January 24, 2008

Midnight Awakening (Book 3) by Lara Adrian


Category: Romance - paranormal
Series: Yes - Book 3 of The Midnight Breed series


He has resisted temptation for centuries, a stone-cold warrior whose frozen heart refuses to thaw – until her…

With a dagger in her hand and vengeance on her mind, Darkhaven beauty Elise Chase prowls Boston’s streets in search of retribution against the Rogue vampires who took from her everything she cherished. Using an extraordinary psychic gift, she tracks her prey, well aware that the power she possesses is destroying her. She must learn to harness this gift, and for that she can turn to only one man – the deadliest of the Breed warriors, Tegan.

No stranger to loss, Tegan knows Elise’s pain. He knows fury, but when he slays his enemies it is with ice in his veins. He is perfect in his self-control, until Elise seeks his aid in her personal war. An unholy alliance is forged – a bond that will link them by blood and vow – and plunge them into a tempest of danger, desire and the darkest passions of the heart…


This is the third instalment of the Midnight Breed series, and it is the best of the lot.

The plot thickens. Elise, who lost her only son to the Rogues in the last instalment, leaves the safety of the Darkhavens sanctuary to carry out a one-woman vendetta against the enemies and their human henchmen, the Minions. Like all other Breedmates, Elise possesses a special power – she’s a psychic – which helps her in her deadly mission. But all that killing and psychic onslaught have taken a toll on her, and it is on one of his prowls that Tegan finds Elise on the verge of collapse. Not only that, she is being hunted down by the Rogues. He brings her back to the warriors’ compound to keep her safe.

Elsewhere, the enemies are up to no good. Their leader is frantically looking for a journal that Elise took, which are now in the warriors’ safekeeping. The journal contains cryptic clues that take Tegan and a determined Elise all the way to Berlin. Later, the warriors end up in Prague. Yes, our warriors are going places. *grin* Sufficient to say that the plot expands quickly but coherently, so it is very easy to follow the story. There is a bigger threat awaiting the warriors … a long-kept secret that leaves them on the edge.

Tegan, for me, is a gorgeous hero. He is vividly and believably portrayed. His aloofness, his icy self-control, his torment, his unwilling attraction to Elise, and his eventual surrender to her – these are well written and I care a lot for this character.

I never thought I would say this, but I liked Elise. Despite feeling no particular fondness for her in the last book, I have to say she’s a worthy heroine and my favourite one so far. She’s so calm and stoic, not to mention intelligent. She plays a huge role in helping the warriors vanquish the enemies. I totally bought it when Tegan falls for her hook, line and sinker.

Now, the secondary characters. Sterling Chase, Elise’s brother-in-law, is now a bona fide Breed warrior, both in status and in mannerism. He has the “future hero” stamp on him. There are two more new recruits, Brock and Kade, whom I’m sure we will see more of in the later books. The other warriors and their Breedmates all make an appearance here. Rio, the scarred, damaged and betrayed warrior, is slowly but surely recovering … and the sophisticated laid-back warrior that he was is forever gone.

I’m anticipating Rio’s book with much eagerness.


4.5 out of 5. I really like it. It's fantastic, a keeper. Sensuality rating: Warm +


4 comments:

Jill D. said...

I have these books on my wish list over at paperback swap. I am glad to see that you like this series. It got really bad reviews over at AAR. I find though, that they usally give low ratings to paranormal romances. I will definitely be giving them a try.

Jace said...

Jill, I was rather reluctant to read this series at first, precisely because of AAR's harsh reviews. But some readers (and may I mention that they are BDB fans too) said to try them, and I'm so glad I did!

I read these 3 books with two reading buddies, and all of us agreed that they are not BDB clones. We really appreciated the uncomplicated plots, and the matured and non-dramatic characters.

With this 3rd book, the story has expanded and it is going into a whole new territory.

This is how we rated the books:

Book 1 ... 4
Book 2 ... 4 - 4.5
Book 3 ... 4.5

I hope you'll enjoy these books as much as my buddies and I did.

iluvnurds said...

Hi Jace! I finally found time to finish Midnight Awakening. It's about time, I know. All I can say is Adrian's work is getting better and better. T and Elise's story, to me, was compelling and heartfelt. I am glad they found each other. The whole thing with Drago's father has me on my toes. I hope we see more of Reichen and Irina. Now, I'm off to read Rio's story. I hope it as good as T's, and the others. ~ Sarah

Jace said...

I'm glad that you've enjoyed Midnight Awakening so much, Sarah. :)

Do come back and post your comments on Midnight Rising when you're done. I'm interested to know your opinion on Drago's father.