Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kiss Of Crimson (Book 2) by Lara Adrian


Bonded by blood and dark secrets, they enter a place of danger and infinite pleasure…

He comes to her more dead than alive, a towering black-clad stranger riddles with bullets and rapidly losing blood. As she struggles to save him, veterinarian Tess Culver is unaware that the man calling himself Dante is no man at all, but one of the Breed, vampire warriors engaged in a desperate battle. In a single erotically charged moment Tess is plunged into his world – a shifting, shadowed place where bands of Rogue vampires stalk the night, cutting a swath of terror.

Haunted by visions of a dark future, Dante lives and fights like there is no tomorrow. Tess is a complication he does not need – but now, with his brethren under attack, he must shield Tess from a growing threat that includes Dante himself. For with one reckless, irresistible kiss, she has become an inextricable part of his underworld realm…and his touch awakens her to hidden gifts, desires and hungers she never knew she possessed. Bonded by blood, Dante and Tess must work together to thwart deadly enemies, even as they discover a passion that transcends the boundaries of life itself…


Book Two of the Midnight Breed series. I liked it, but not as much as I liked the first book. My only grumble was the heroine … the whys and wherefores later.

Dante, the efficiently ruthless fighting machine, is undoubtedly the star of this book. He is charismatic, sexy and vivid. His characterization is convincing as the guy who lives to fight, as he tries to run from the forbidding premonition of his own future.

Tess, the hapless human whose blood Dante needs and takes while he is gravely injured, is also a Breedmate. Dante does not know it at that time, but by taking her blood, the blood bond between them is half sealed. His obsession, possessiveness and need to protect, all directed at Tess, spring to the fore. He woos her but does not tell her who or what he is. He is the ruthless killer who becomes a tender lover.

Tess is the good and nice woman who borders on being perfect in every way. She cannot say no to her ex-boyfriend, in spite of knowing that he wants to get back together when she does not. She continues to worry and fuss over him after she starts a relationship with Dante. Yet she acts decisively (and in my opinion, brainlessly) enough when she finds out Dante’s dark secret and makes the move that forces him to go after her, even if he has to die in the process. I had ambivalent feelings toward her – at times I sympathized with her and her situation; other times I wanted to strangle her.

The Midnight Breed world expands a little with this story. I liked that new elements are added in bit by bit, which makes it easy to follow the story. A new party drug, Crimson, is being circulated in the clubs and party circles. This drug turns the Breeds into Rogues almost immediately, and the victims are the unsuspecting Breed youths. Enter Sterling Chase, a former Breed police officer, who now works with the warriors to uncover the person and scheme behind the Crimson drug threat. Sterling’s widowed sister-in-law Elise, for whom he bears an unrequited love, also makes her entrance. Sterling’s feelings for Elise are achingly poignant and I felt very sorry for him. I hope to read his story one day. Elise, on the other hand, is one-dimensional and vague, and I don’t care about her at this point. Elise is the heroine of the next story.

I’ve enjoyed the warriors’ interaction with each other too. They care for each other quietly and unobtrusively, but their loyalty toward each other is steadfast. They go about their business in a matter-of-fact and non-dramatic way, and it’s easy to like the whole lot of them.

I’m looking forward to reading Tegan’s story next.


My rating4
Sensuality ratingWarm

2 comments:

iluvnurds said...

Hi again :) I liked this book a lot, I think more so than the first. I hope to see more of Agent Chase. He is an interesting character. One thing that troubles me, is Ardian is now focusing on this Crimson "situation," which creates more Minion problems (I don't want to give anything away to people who have not read yet), but I feel she may be moving away from the main plot. I know Rio's book is about a cave...that has to do with the Breed Race, but what about the issue with the Gen One warrior, who is causing an uprising among the race. I hope she does not go too far away from the plot, like JR Ward (I still like her work too!). All in all, I loved the book. A four is a good rating. The book is an excellent read. I am really looking forward to T's book next. He has a sensitive side after all, and his power is very interesting.

I hope Ardian tells us of Gideon and Savannah's story. I would like to know how they met. Also, to me there are a few points missing, like what are the Breed Warrior’s abilities? We know T's and Dante's, but what about Lucan’s for instance? Still, like I said before, the series in a good read.

~ Sarah

Jace said...

Sarah, I'm glad that you're liking this book more. :)

Don't worry about the Crimson "situation" ... it'll get resolved soon. ;)

About the Gen-One warrior, oh, are you in for a treat! :D Read T's book and find out for yourself, is all I can say. :)

No, Adrian doesn't stay very far from the main plot, which is the Breed Race. She may make a detour, but she always ties everything back to it.

Happy reading and do post your comments on T's book.