Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dangerous Games by Lora Leigh


Book Description

It’s not whether you win or lose.
Navy SEAL Clint “Iceman” McIntyre didn’t earn his nickname by being a coward. Or a quitter. Having crushed an infamous drug cartel in Colombia, Clint was nothing short of an American hero. Now he’s home, on a much-needed leave, but instead of some R & R, he finds himself neck-deep in trouble with his best friend’s little sister, Morganna Chavez – the only woman who has the power to bring him to his knees …

It’s how you play …
Morganna has been secretly working with the DEA to uncover a thriving date-rape drug, which leads her to a shadowy faction that is more deadly than anything her team has ever encountered. Now it’s up to Clint to keep this beautiful, determined agent out of harm’s way, even while the passion between them threatens to consume them. Soon Clint’s greatest mission will be not just keeping Morganna alive, but getting her into his arms and never letting go
.


First things first. I’ve never read a Lora Leigh book before. But I’ve heard of her explicit sex scenes. Of my three reading buddies, only one had read Leigh before, so we decided to read this together.

My very first impression after reading the Prologue and Chapter 1 – terribly predictable and unlikeable lead characters. Clint (what an unsexy name) is your usual alpha-to-the-max, dangerous, hard-bodied guy with sex appeal oozing from his pores. Morganna is sexy, pretty, mouthy, and worst of all, a poseur … that was the overwhelming vibe I got … that she’s only posing to be the tough and smart undercover agent that she is supposed to be.

It was hard to continue reading after this kind of first impression. But persevere I did.

Clint and Morganna’s relationship made me giggle. He’s the older brother of her best friend, and he’s the best friend of her older brother. They practically knew each other from way back when. Morganna had grown up loving Clint, but he couldn’t reciprocate her feelings because he was much older (9 years) and he had a rotten childhood which screwed up his brains into believing that he wasn’t good enough for her. So he left her alone and took his body, feelings and sexual hunger elsewhere. And eight years later, when he sees her in a club, he immediately wants to “have” her … it is all her fault because she tempted him with her skimpy dressing and her sexy dance moves. It’s hard to like a guy like this. *sigh* The rest of their relationship plays out pretty much along this line – he keeps fighting his feelings for her, and she keeps goading him.

The sex scenes are explicit, graphic, and plentiful. There’s BDSM and anal sex. I find these scenes over the top and after the first two, frankly, I lost interest and skimmed the rest.

Another major irritation – why do so-called dangerous, hardassed men turn to putty and blathering fools when they are in the company of a pretty, sexy woman? Clint did. So did his SEAL buddies. All the testosterone in the room practically got kicked in the ass by one Morganna Chavez. Sheesh.

What did I find interesting about this story? I suppose I could be generous and say the suspense was moderately interesting. As for the characters, I was only ever interested in Drage Masters, the owner of the nightclubs.

This was a difficult book for me to read. Nothing really worked for me – not the characters, the plot, the writing, the sex scenes. I skimmed most of the second-half of the book, so I couldn’t tell you who the villain was, even if my life depended on it. What a sad state of affair. This book is going straight into my BookMooch listing.


My rating is 2 out of 5. It's problematic - may struggle to finish. Sensuality rating: Burning


TBR Hill Challenge: 8 down, 2 to go


2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I've tried Lora Leigh a couple of times and she's just not my cuppa. It's not the steamy scenes that bother me - it's that I find her heroe's jerks and her heroines annoying. If I want a hawt and steamy read, give me a Lisa Marie Rice. She does it ever so much better and her heroes are alphas without the jerk factor.

Jace said...

Kristie, so glad you could drop by, despite the stress over the bookshelves *grin* and kitchen.

I gotta tell you, this book was an eye-opener, if not a shocker. LOL I have another one of hers in the TBR - Tanner's Scheme - which my reading buddy said should be tamer. *grin* We'll see.

I've read a lot of good things about Lisa Marie Rice, and have been looking for her Dangerous Lover, without any success. I'll have to try harder. Thanks for the recommendation.