Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wicked Deeds On A Winter's Night by Kresley Cole


Category: Romance - paranormal
Series: Yes - Book 3 of The Immortals After Dark series


Her breathless kiss haunts him…
Bowen MacRieve of the Lykae clan was nearly destroyed when he lost the one woman meant for him. The ruthless warrior grew even colder, never taking another to his bed – until a smoldering encounter with his enemy, Mariketa the Awaited, reawakens his darkest desires. When sinister forces unite against her, the Highlander finds himself using all his strength and skill to keep her alive.

His slow, hot touch is irresistible…
Temporarily stripped of her powers, Mari is forced to take refuge with her sworn adversary. It’s rumored that no one can tempt Bowen’s hardened heart, but soon passion burns between them. Though a future together is impossible, she fears he has no intention of letting her go.

No deed is too wicked for her seduction…
If they defeat the evil that surrounds them, can Mari deny Bowen when he demands her body and soul – or will she risk everything for her fierce protector?



For me, this is the best story of the series so far. As you know, I love Bowen, so that adds to my enjoyment of this story.

The start of this instalment takes place some time during the middle of the previous story (No Rest For The Wicked), so it is best to read that one first (if you haven’t), to get a sense of continuation.

There is a lot of stuff going on in the story, yet it flows smoothly and coherently. Fast paced, not a dull moment. I really like the Hie action (scavenger hunt akin to the Amazing Race).

Bowen and Mariketa is a well-matched couple. The character development is well done – kudos to the author - despite all the other stuff that’s going on. I forgive Bowen all his deviousness and high-handedness because I love him. Mari is a great heroine – strong, courageous yet compassionate and gentle. I like that she doesn’t let him take the easy way out, even though it would be so easy for her to just succumb to his charms. I like that she makes him “earn” her. Their love story has a tender, yearning quality.

As for the secondary characters, I feel a sequel coming on that features the demon king, Rydstrom. He’s such a great, noble guy. I got such a kick when he tries to patch things up for Bowen and Mari. I also like that he and the elves are so protective of Mari, a mortal. Their friendship in the incubi tomb and afterwards is heartwarming.

The only bummer for me is the showdown battle between Mariketa and the evil goddess Haxa … that scene is fantasy-ish and over the top. And I can’t truly understand Mari’s mirror sorcery, i.e. how does she garner the power? Also, why the apples? Apart from these issues, I’ve enjoyed the story a lot.

I can’t wait for the next instalment, Dark Needs At Night’s Edge – the story of Conrad, the brother of Nikolai and Sebastian Wroth. It’s scheduled to be released in April/May 2008.

4.5 out of 5. I really like it. It's fantastic, a keeper. Sensuality rating: Hot


TBR Hill Challenge: 3 down, 7 to go


3 comments:

Starcrazed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eBook Crescent said...

Hi Jace,

Just wanted to drop by and say hi - it's such a pleasure reading the reviews of a true-blooded book lover, a lot of your books are also on my personal TBR list :)

Please do drop by our site eBook Crescent for a visit anytime, we would be pleased to receive feedback from any book passionista out there...

http://www.ebookcrescent.com

We're also having a great time meeting lots of like-minded book lovers on MySpace and Facebook, with lots of informal book chats and discussions going on there, please join us and be a friend if you are also on MySpace or Facebook, there's never a dull moment when talking books, especially from many different perspectives and backgrounds! :)

http://www.myspace.com/ebookcrescent (MySpace)

http://http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676276447 (Facebook)


Thanks for sharing your love and joys of reading! Here's wishing you a wonderful day!

Cheers,
Agnes
www.ebookcrescent.com

P/S We're currently in Malaysia too - traveling the East Coast during the rainy, Monsoon weather - what an adventure! :)

Jace said...

Hi Agnes,

It's very nice to have you visiting my space. *g*

I will check out your website, and ask my reading buddies to do the same.

How wonderful ... you're in Malaysia right now! I hope you're having a very nice time touring my country. Yes, being at the East Coast during the rainy season is "an adventure" and that's putting it mildly. LOL

I hope your itinerary allows you to come to Kuala Lumpur, the capital city where I live, because you simply must not miss it!

Do keep in touch. You'll find my email address in my profile. I'd love to read about your Malaysian experience. *g*

Enjoy your stay here and Selamat Datang (welcome).