Sunday, October 14, 2007

Driven by Eve Kenin


Category: Romance - futuristic
Series: Yes, Book One

Raina Bowen knows she can handle herself just fine against anything the harsh Northern Waste throws at her. Until it throws her an enigmatic stranger called Wizard. First, she has to haul him out of a brawl he can’t hope to win. And next, her libido is shooting into overdrive at the feel of his hard body pressed against hers on the back of her snowscooter. But there’s something not quite right about this guy. Before she can strip bare Wizard’s secrets, they’re lured into a race for their lives, battling rival truckers, ice pirates…and a merciless maniac with a very personal vendetta.


The author, a.k.a. Eve Silver, has outdone herself with this one. I’ve read two of her historical gothics and this story is as different from those as it can ever be. She has successfully developed a different voice for each genre…one would never guessed they came from the same person.

Edgy and fast-paced, the story just sucks me in. Featuring one gutsy, kick-ass but emotionally vulnerable heroine. Throw in a totally sumptuous part-human, part-cyborg hero. Put them in a harsh and hostile landscape where they have to dodge villains coming from all directions, all the while battling their growing attraction and lust for each other.

The world-building is superb. The frigid northern wasteland is realistically portrayed. I feel the extreme cold, the isolation and the danger of that place.

Both Raina and Wizard are vivid and well-matched characters...their romance is convincing. Between the two, I like Wizard more. There are many instances when he tugs at my heart and makes me smile…what a guy. The secondary characters are varied and interesting, and I look forward to sequels featuring the prominent ones, such as Yuriko with Trey, and perhaps Ben with Tatiana.

I’ve enjoyed this story a lot and I highly recommend it to anyone who’s ready to embark on a non-stop futuristic adventure that features a sweet yet sizzling romance. The only issue I have with this otherwise superb story is…somehow my emotions are not fully engaged/involved. I think the reason for this is due to the focus of the story, which is more action-oriented than character-building.

4.5 out of 5. I really like it. It's fantastic, a keeper. Sensuality rating: Warm +

The follow-up of this story, Hidden, will be released in July 2008.


2 comments:

Shyan said...

I'm not a fan of futuristic setting but your review makes me want to read it. I'm going to give it a try.

Kristie (J) said...

Well - hello there!! A new-to-me romance blogger. I love finding fellow romance fans!!
I have a ARC of this of this one, forgot I did and after reading all the good reviews it's getting, I went out and bought one - only to remember when I went to add it to my spreadsheet that I had it already. Good thing I could take it back and exchange it for another one. But I should find and read it since everyone seems to love it!